50 Best Back-to-School Articles for Parents
Article from www.rootsofaction.com
In addition to getting your student ready, back-to-school is also a time when most parents revisit strategies that help support their children during the academic year.
What’s your parenting mindset at back-to-school time, or anytime?
As a writer and researcher with a passion for positive youth development, I regularly connect with educators and psychologists who write superb articles for parents.
These authors share the latest thinking and research on learning, achievement, family well-being, parent engagement, special needs children, youth sports, media, technology, discipline, homework, bullying, and much more.
As your children get back-to-school and resettled into their routines, take some time for yourself – to reflect on your own values about education and how you can more intentionally support your children. I’ve compiled what I believe are some of the best back-to-school articles for parents – from a variety of reputable bloggers. The list is divided by topic and I’ve put a short summary of what you will find in each one.
Read what piques your interest now and bookmark others for later. And if you like particular authors, be sure to follow their articles throughout the school year by signing up for their RSS feeds or email subscriptions. If you use social media, I’ve included links to their Twitter accounts and Facebook Pages to make following easy.
I guarantee you’ll find some meaningful food for thought here – whether it’s back-to-school time or anytime! And you’ll also meet some great people who support children’s positive growth and well-being. Happy reading!
Learning & Achievement
1. Teaching Beyond The Transmission of Knowledgeby Miguel Angel Escotet, Ph.D. Parents are teachers too! Understand the educational philosophy of teaching to the test vs. teaching to the heart. Twitter
2. The Developmental Psychologists’ Back-to-School Shopping List by Gabrielle Principe, Ph.D. atPsychology Today. Five ways to improve children’s learning at all ages, grounded in scientific research.
4. A Link Between Relatedness and Academic Achievement by Ugo Uche, LPC, at Psychology Today. The key to student success relies not just with teacher’s attitudes toward students but also with the student’s attitude towards the teacher. Parents help develop these attitudes! Twitter
10. The Happy Teen: A Primer on the Positives in Youth Development by Stephen Gray Wallace, M.S.Ed. at Psychology Today. Read some good news about adolescent development.
15. Are Parents Setting Kids Up for Failure by Pushing Too Hard for Success? By Lylah M. Alphonse at Yahoo Shine. Tips from Madeline Levine’s new book, “Teach Your Children Well: Parenting for Authentic Success.” Twitter; Facebook Page
16. Five Lessons Our Kids Don’t Learn in School For Success in Life by Jennifer Owens at HuffPost Parents. Parents play a big role in teaching children how to succeed in life! Learn how. Twitter